Finding & Developing the Right People: How Brown’s Plumbing & Heating in Steinbach, Manitoba, Has Successfully Doubled the Business
Finding & Developing the Right People: How Brown’s Plumbing & Heating in Steinbach, Manitoba, Have Successfully Doubled the Business
The Successful Contractor Podcast – NEW EPISODE
Brown’s Plumbing & Heating in Steinbach, Manitoba, is a family business. Chad Brown’s grandfather started it in 1974, and his dad owned and operated it for much of its history. A caricature of his image adores the sides of their vans. Chad and his wife purchased the company five years ago with the goal of continuing the legacy, and he’s done a strong job thus far. Since joining CertainPath, sales have roughly doubled, as the company is approaching $3MM in revenue. In a small service area of only 30,000 or so, Brown’s Plumbing & Heating has over 3,2000 Google reviews with an average rating of 4.8. Chad’s clearly been busy implementing a multitude of systems and procedures. The most important changes he’s made have been to how the company recruits, onboards, and trains. Chad is a people person, a strong communicator. He learned early that to have a successful service company, he must be surrounded by service-oriented people. He’s done a great job of doing that. As a result, Brown’s Plumbing & Heating has been thriving—and its future is even brighter.
In this interview, Chad talks in-depth about the family business, including how they…
- Strategically plan monthly with his leadership team to keep the business looking and moving forward.
- Avoid wasting techs’ time by the call center always verifying homeowners will be present the next day.
- Keep their callboards full during typical slow seasons thanks to their club membership program and regular outbounding.
- Utilize an inside salesperson to do much of the outbounding calls on unsold opportunities.
- Implement regular training, including relying on outside resources to help strengthen their technicians’ skills.
- And so much more!